Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Did Jesus Give Hugs?

The other day, I was watching a video called "homophobes get their first gay hug." I was kind of struck by it in that I saw such a group of visibly-uncomfortable people offered something as simple as a hug from another human being. 

Now, I don't believe in the word "homophobe" but that's another blog for another time.....

Seeing the love and understanding that eventually came out of the interactions, I immediately thought of the life of Jesus - did Jesus Christ give hugs?

A brief Google search shows that one must look at the culture of the time in order to identify whether or not Jesus gave hugs. I don't know that I necessarily agree with that as Jesus did things outside the culture - he was Jesus, after all.

So, that begs the question - did Jesus give hugs?

In order to truly answer that question with all honesty, one must looks at the function of the gospel - to take a broken world and bring it in harmony with God. Looking at the essence of a hug - it is giving comfort and being comforted at the same time. It is an art of affection. It is a mutual invitation to the healing power of touch, making one whole, and offering a warm embrace.

So, did Jesus give hugs? Absolutely!

No comments:

Post a Comment