Friday, August 16, 2013

Giving and Receiving

"If you are not receiving as much as you are giving,  you are not there."

One of the things that I have learned over the last two weeks, we need to be able to give AND receive. While our communities may want us to be Superman, sometimes that just isn't possible. We need to, as all humans, receive and give at the same rate in order to maintain balance.

There is a poem which I am reading today titled "We are composed of others." As I read the poem, there isn't anything specific that comes to mind, but the phrase "we are composed of others" provides that relationship between myself and the "other" person where, in engagement with the other person, perhaps I am able to receive and give at the same time.

I believe, perhaps, that Jesus demonstrates this time and time again throughout the four gospels. Luke 9:58 states, "Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head." This is, I believe, a good analogy on how we as Christian leaders and Christians in general should approach our lives and our relations to others. When we engage with those outside the church, we need to not only welcome them into our lives, but we also need to receive in that dialogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment