Saturday, November 30, 2013

Why There's Still Hope

WHY THERE'S STILL HOPE

June 5, 1981 is considered to be day zero of the first HIV diagnosis. However, doing a small bit of research, HIV has been in existence for many years prior to the CDC's first report of PCP.

It is now 2013, and from my first involvement with those in the HIV/AIDS community in the 90's, we have come a long way. The investigation into protease inhibitors in that day and time added many years to the lives of those infected by this horrible disease, and since then we have seen the advent of many other medications and classifications of drugs which has elongated the lives of our HIV-positive sisters and brothers.

A long life, however, is not a cure nor does the existence of these drugs create a long life for survivors. In the past year, I have met many who are dealing with medical issues beyond HIV, such as depression or heart disease. I have met people who are handling the stress of the disease and sobriety challenges. I have met people who are homeless. And almost everyone who is infected is afraid of the stigma that disclosing HIV to friends and family will have on their relationships.

However, there's still hope. I see hope almost every day when I read about the research in new medications and even glimpses of hope in HIV eradication. I see the hope in the people I work with who are navigating life with all of its challenges. I see hope in all the agencies that are available to help positive living. 

And, I see hope in my sisters and brothers ministering to those infected and affected by HIV. I witness a touch of God's grace each and every time see God's people being the hands and feet of Christ to this under-served community. 

I believe God is present and hears the "cries of the afflicted." I see God working even in the midst of our grief over our sisters and brothers we have lost.  I see hope in our coming Saviour who will eliminate all disease and suffering.

Every year, my birthday (November 30) backs up to International AIDS day (December 1). On one day I celebrate, and on the next I grieve. But, there's hope. There's always hope....

No comments:

Post a Comment